Site: Suttle Lake Camp
Dates: 4/1/2022 – 4/3/2022
Age Level: Ages 16 and up
Cost: Donations accepted
This leadership training (to be held at Suttle Lake Camp) is for all staff who will be serving at Camp Latgawa, Camp Magruder, Suttle Lake Camp, or Wallowa Lake Camp this summer. Leadership staff at Sawtooth Camp are also encouraged and welcome to attend; there will be an On-Site Training at Sawtooth Camp April 22-24, 2022. Church leaders and others are welcome to participate too, as many of the workshops offered would benefit Christian leaders working in a variety of settings.
This is a critical training for all camp leaders. If you are unable to make this training, please contact the site where you will be serving so that these important topics can be covered well in advance of camp.
This training event has a unique track for counselors (Friday evening – Sunday afternoon), as well as workshops for deans, chaplains, healthcare providers, and other leaders (Friday evening – Saturday afternoon). In large group sessions we will all explore core pieces of Camp and Retreat Ministry to better understand our mission and everyone’s roles in keeping camp safe, as well as how to practice Safe Sanctuaries and Child Protection Policies in the camp setting. A full schedule (subject to change) will be released soon.
Topics will include group dynamics and how to redirect them, curriculum preparations, cultural awareness, ways to communicate, spiritual formation, trauma informed care and more.
Engaging sessions specifically designed to help counselors prepare for cabin life and working with campers. Skill sessions will include establishing a community of respect, knowing camp rules, camp worship and prayer, how to get campers excited and how to settle them down, listening, working with small groups, seizing faith moments through the day, and more.
IMPORTANT DETAILS TO KNOW BEFORE YOU GO:
- This training event will be held at Suttle Lake Camp in Sisters, Oregon. For directions to Suttle Lake Camp, CLICK HERE
- Please note that campers under the age of 18 are allowed to drive to camp only with the written permission of parents and are not allowed to have any passengers under the age of 18.
- Please plan to check-in at camp between 4:00pm – 6:30pm on Friday. Please call the camp if you plan to arrive to camp before or after this time. Dinner will be available at 6:00pm; please indicate on your registration if you plan to eat with us.
- The training will start on Friday at 7:00 pm.
- Please complete your On-Line Disclosure Form prior to your arrival. After completion, you will receive a link to complete the online health form (if 18+) or directions to complete the paper form.
- If you are eighteen (18) years of age or older, we require a background check to be completed, after you have completed your disclosure. CLICK HERE to request a background check to be run.
- Bring warm clothes and boots for outside and comfy slippers to wear inside. You’ll need a warm sleeping bag, towels and toiletries. A notebook and pen may be handy during the training sessions.
- Leadership Workshops will conclude on Saturday at 5pm for those attending only this portion OR at 2pm on Sunday for those attending the counselor track. Please advise the camp if your departure time will be different.
- For registration information please contact our camp registrar: 503-802-9214 or firstname.lastname@example.org
- For program or camp related questions, please contact Hope Montgomery at Camp Magruder (503-355-2310 or email@example.com) or Jane Petke at Suttle Lake (541-595-6663 or firstname.lastname@example.org).
- For road conditions call 511 or check http://www.tripcheck.com/